What about Apple's new ebook app and text book efforts?

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon Jan 23 10:21:33 EST 2012

> Anyone watching the news this week about Apple's ebook and
> text book apps and endeavors?
>
> Seeking input as to how that might play with LC.

Last week, my other publishing business changed our monthly 3D seminar to
include how to incorporate 3D content from Shade into iBooks made with
author. From a technical perspective, it's a very attractive tool, and its
kind of cool how easy it is to incorporate 3D stuff.

On the other hand, I think the business model is flawed, at least for Apple:

http://www.lynnfredricks.com/2012/01/19/ibooks-2-ibooks-author-attractive-bu
t-frightening-solution-to-educational-publishing/

Also, the licensing terms are rather evil.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/apples-mind-bogglingly-greedy-and-evil-licens
e-agreement/4360

I can live with a closed garden platform as a private citizen - its my
choice and, although it's a business model I don't entirely like, its not
unlike the business model of most console game companies.

On the other hand, I am totally opposed to the platform being used in
publicly funded education until the platform and the file format are open.
There are simply too many costs and too much ownership by Apple.

What I do think is very possible is that Apple will open the way for a
cheaper solution based on Android and ePUB 3 - although its not necessarily
a native "LC" format, the power of LC to work with text based anything could
result some extremely powerful publishing tools.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Mirye Software Publishing
http://www.mirye.com