Zen of Computer Programming

Peter M. Brigham, MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 21:15:01 EST 2012

I think this comes from neuropsych research, and the proposition is that it takes 10,000 hours to master a field, whether music, math, coding, painting, gymnastics, whatever -- because that's how long it takes to rewire the brain in a fundamental way. 10,000 hours is 5 years full time work, 40h/week, 50 weeks a year.

Genius -- that takes something extra, maybe a brain that's genetically suited to your field, plus something more mysterious.... There's a fascinating book by a guy name Doidge, called The Brain That Changes Itself, well worth reading. Nobody knows about what makes genius, though.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig