[OT] Bill and Eric - not forgotten

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 09:13:10 EST 2012

Indeed. I was just last week considering buying a copy of one of
Eric's books on Hypercard, even though I don't speak French!  I think
of Eric often.  He was not only knowledgeable, but kind and modest.  I
regret never having met him personally.

A few days ago I was looking at his ListMagic, which some of you will
remember preceded the DataGrid.  It was amazing what he managed to
achieve based on a single field object.  The DataGrid has come along
to replace Eric's work, but I'm sure Eric would have been delighted to
see that such a control could be built from combining existing
controls.

I like to remind myself that we should also appreciate those on this
list who also contribute greatly to the furtherance of this community
and this programming paradigm.  I won't start to list names, because
I'll be sure to forget someone.  Let's remember Eric and Bill and Mark
who are no longer with us.  But be glad too that this community is
suffused with so many knowledgeable and helpful people.  I've been
involved here for about a decade, and I've seen new youngsters come
along who are also kind and helpful and knowledgeable.  It is a great
community.

I'm glad someone else thought to write remembering people like Eric.
I had wanted to do this last week, but thought maybe I was just too
sentimental.

Bernard