Sending hundreds of eMails

Bob Earp rjearp at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 5 16:10:05 EST 2012

Dan,
I had a similar situation whereby I wanted to send eMails to a list of registrants from a Joomla site, and although there is a mass mail feature in Joomla, my ISP limited the number of addressee's to 20 per eMail.  I ended up throwing a stack together with the help of some of Sara's excellent script.  I dumped the Joomla database (which contained the registrants eMail address etc.) to a text file and then parsed that.

I'm happy to share it with you, but It may not be suitable for you as it uses a mail client to actually send the mail in blocks of 20 (I think).  You could adjust that number to whatever.  There is a positive side to that though, as the mail client checks for valid addresses and provides an error msg if an address is awry, plus of course you automatically get a return address to have bounced messages sent to.

Please eMail me off-list if you want a copy.

best, Bob...

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:51:34 -0800
> From: Dan Friedman <dan at clearvisiontech.com>
> To: use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
> Subject: Sending hundreds of eMails
> Hello!
>
> I have a client that wants to send hundreds of eMails - each one unique, customized to the recipient.  Formatting the eMail is easy... but how do you send an eMail from within LC? revMail brings up their eMail client which is not what we want because (a) they would have to click "Send" a zillion times, and (b) they are using gMail (a browser based mail client).
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> -Dan

Bob Earp