Windows Standalone Does Not Have an App Menu

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jan 4 18:42:32 EST 2012

On 1/4/12 2:26 PM, Gregory Lypny wrote:
> Hello Roger and Mark,
>
> Thanks for responding and clarifying the Windows app question for me.
> Mark, I have no problem including decorations.  If this is a
> convention on Windows, that is, that an app menu does not appear when
> a modal window is frontmost, so that the user cannot quit or cannot
> know that the app is running if they have switched workspaces, then I
> don’t see how it promotes or meets expectations.  If I can start
> something up, I expect that I should be able to see how to shut it
> down.

I actually depend on this behavior, which has been around forever. When
my app is open, I don't want all its palettes and extra windows
scattered across the task bar, I only want a single unified app icon
there. I can control that by making my primary stack a toplevel window,
and making all the others palettes or modeless windows.

In a sense, palettes and modeless windows aren't really "frontmost"
anyway. If there is even a single toplevel window, it is automatically
the defaultstack and gets all messages as though it were in front. The
engine expands on that idea by only placing toplevel windows into the
task bar.

You could probably keep the original window without decorations, and
open a tiny toplevel window offscreen. That one would show in the task
bar and could be used to respond to user actions there.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com