Script Editor Conundrum

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Wed Feb 29 00:08:26 EST 2012

The script of an object is a property of that object. It is not a container. I'll explain.

If you want to change the data in a container, like a field or a variable, you do things like "put" data into (or after, whatever) that container.

But if you want to change the data in a script, being a property, you first "get" the data, then process it, then set it:

get the script of stack "yourStack"

put "on mouseUp" & return & "beep 3" & return & "end mouseUp" & return before it

set the script of stack "yourStack" to it

This can be done under program control, even, creating a sort of self-modifying code. But at least it works in a straightforward way as in the example.

Craig Newman