The Linux engine...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 27 12:45:14 EST 2012

Graham Samuel wrote:

 > Just a quick two Eurocents to say that I strongly agree that we
 > should not split up the list, and I agree with Malte's arguments.

I don't think we need to worry about that. Those who want to lighten
their In Box and enjoy platform-specific discussion will find the forums
an excellent choice.

LiveCode supports so many platforms it's rare that everything it can do
will appeal to any single developer.  Still, much to be learned from
every supported platform, and this list is an excellent venue for such
learning.

 > I know nothing about Linux, and like many things I know nothing
 > about, I'm scared of it - but one day I may need to know more....

When that day comes it seems you'll be in good hands:  While the nearest
Ubuntu group is more than four hours from you in Paris, there's a Linux
user group right in Toulouse which seems very friendly and welcoming of
newcomers:

<http://www.culte.org/>

Linux is just another OS in a world where such things are becoming
increasingly commoditized so it barely matters which one you use, esp.
for us LiveCoders who've been making Windows apps on Macs for so many years.

But the secret charm with Linux is the people.  As I've written before,
there's something quite nice about a group of people who get together
for the primary purpose of freely sharing things.

If you make it to any local LUG meetings I'd be surprised if you didn't
walk away with a few new friends.  Extra bonus points that you'll
probably find Linux a lot of fun to play with as well.  :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World