Filter (was Re: Using DropBox for Faster Mobile Development)

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Feb 23 16:08:04 EST 2012

Bob,

I think this may indeed be a matter of perception, and therefore not one with
a right or wrong answer!

But I think there absolutely _is_ a difference between terminate and delimit.
And I've found from experience that some LC developers think of line formatted
lists as a series of lines delimited by return (and I see in their code care
being taken to avoid a final return, which would be redundant in that model
when there's nothing to delimit); while others think of line formatted lists
as a series of lines each terminated by return (and therefore their code takes
equal pains to ensure that there's always a return at the end).

One might say that the nice thing is that FILTER allows both kinds of
developers to remain secure in their respective deluded belief system...

> I see it differently. The same command with essentially the same
> data (except for the one trailing cr) returns different results.

Strictly speaking, isn't that "the same command with different data returns
different results"?

Or if you prefer, "the same command with essentially the same data (except for
the one trailing cr) returns essentially the same results (except for the one
trailing cr)"?

Ben