Recreating a binary stack from xml text

Geoff Canyon Rev gcanyon+rev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:22:54 EST 2012

In FileMaker, because it's inherent to the way they do it, I've never heard
of it breaking. It's kind of a chickens vs. pigs situation -- where for
breakfast the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. If something
goes wrong with safe rename, they just issue a note saying "we're looking
into it, don't use it for now." If something went wrong with FileMaker's
renaming code, no one would be able to do anything until it was fixed --
not edit a script, maybe not even edit a layout. Not that it ever has been
broken in Eclipse, just that the standard is different. It also goes to the
mindset of the developer: in FileMaker it's just understood that you might
rename something to make it clearer. For example if you and I work on a
database together and you use plural column names and I use singular, when
we inevitably fight to the death ;-) the victor would blithely change all
the offending column names, without thinking about the (non-existent)
consequences.