Sounds in iOS

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Feb 21 14:57:44 EST 2012

Hi Mark

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me that embedded sounds are outlawed, only that if one chooses to use an external sound file, one has to be more careful than in playing sounds on other platforms. The documentation is not very clear on this IMHO. For example, the LC Dictionary's section on "play" includes iOS as one of the possible platforms, whereas according to you it's only "play file" that will work. On Page 33 of the latest iOS notes (revision 69) "play" is discussed with an example which uses the term "soundFile" as a parameter, but it doesn't mention a ban on embedded sounds. In the section on "what doesn't work" (p16) there is one sentence:

	• audioclips/videoclips/player functionality (use the 'play' and 'play video' syntax described later)

which seems to suggest that "play" will be OK. The User Guide doesn't mention the issue at all (see section 13). Where else am I supposed to look? I think if RunRev has really pulled this functionality with no intention of restoring it in a later release then they should be clearer about it.

If you can point me at an explicit statement about this in the LC documentation, I'd be grateful.

Cheers

Graham