How to use an array to solve the following...

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 04:52:20 EST 2012

Glen,

Look at my test results more closely:

Finding the 1st item of the 1st line using direct reference = 3ms
Finding the last item of the last line using direct reference = 440294ms
Finding the -1 item of the 1st line using direct reference = 5ms
Finding the -1 item of the -1 line using direct reference = 733095ms
Finding the first child of the first key = 3ms
Finding the last child of the last key = 3ms
Finding 1st item of 1st line using repeat for each line = 0ms
Finding last item of last line using repeat for each line = 454ms

Using direct reference is always slower than repeat for each, ESPECIALLY if
the data is toward the end.

I would amend Geoff's script to this:

  repeat for each line L in the keys of yourArray
      if L > 20 then
         put L & cr after R
         if L > 60 then
                exit repeat
         end if
      end if
  end repeat

Don't waste cyling through lines you don't have to.

HTH