How to manage user alerts from apps when in the background

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at clarkeandclarke.co.uk
Sun Feb 19 16:56:31 EST 2012

...thanks Todd. I wasn't aware that any apps could run in the background in iOS - so I was assuming notifications 'to' iOS 'for' the registered app there.

I didn't find any non-iOS notification entries in the dictionary, so I assume this means OSX and Windows don't support generic notifications (or they are called something else).

So, for OSX, I guess I'd need to use Growl - perhaps with Monte Goulding's Growl plugin http://goulding.ws/2010/10/29/livecode-growl-plugin/

For Windows, I've found STSTray http://www.sonsothunder.com/products/ststray/ststray.htm but I'm not sure if this works beyond Vista - is anyone using it on Windows 7?

Before I go further, am I correct in assuming that my app would have to manage the notification mechanism for each target platform's stand-alone and that there are no higher-level cross-platform notification mgt functions hiding under a different title?
Best,
Keith..