Scheduling iOS tasks

Mike Kerner MikeKerner at roadrunner.com
Thu Feb 16 11:35:58 EST 2012

I have, and now that LC is going to support Push and Local Notifications, I
am chomping to put them into action along with some background processing.
After reading through the Push API's last night, it looks like for the
moment I'm going to have to roll my own Push server.  It would be great if
LC would not just support receiving push notifications on iOS but sending
them from desktop/server deployments without me having to write the network
code to do it.  Unfortunately it looks like I'm on my own at the moment.

This brings me to my background processing issue - I don't want to have to
write a push server (that is going to do the work for my app and then send
down what amounts to a tiny fraction of what the app needs) when I can have
the app occasionally (once a day) pull the data itself.

The apps I have on my iOS device that use push to tell me that I have do to
something and badge the app, but then make me wait while the app does the
work are not ideal.  If that's what I have to do, that's what I have to do.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."