want you error expertise

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Thu Feb 16 02:54:51 EST 2012

Hello,

from time to time I have customers where my LC 4.6.4 program crashes on
windows machines right away when launching. The only error message is the
generic windows message "windows has encountered a problem".

I know that this can happen from everything. Installation without enough
permissions, missing or corrupted windows files, anti virus programs,
viruses, etc. In most cases I don't find the reason, beside saying "you
could reinstall your windows, etc." Though these cases are below 1% of all
my installations for the customer it is 100% of fault. And they tell me of
course that "all other programs run fine on their computer and just my
program is shit" What it makes worse is that often just these customers do
very hard to operate their computers or even don't have internet access, so
no chance to make remote diagnostics. Because of the 100% unsatisfying
experience for the customer it is also very frustrating for me, not being
able to help.

I am not experienced enough to see if this is a typical LC problem, or an
individual problem of my program (the only "specials" is using Valentina and
some shell calls) or is a LC program  not worse or better as the average of
all windows programs?

How are your experiences and how do you approach these kind of errors / what
do you tell your customers?

Thanks

Tiemo