Pending Messages

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Wed Feb 15 03:47:11 EST 2012

Hi Michael,

On 2/14/12 2:09 PM, Michael Doub wrote:
> I am looking for some advise before start trying to figure out how throw away messages .
>
> I am currently catching touch movement events and rendering a graph within a slider.  Clearly the rendering is slowing things a bit and I am
> experiencing some sluggishness.   I am thinking about trying to look at the pending messages from within the touch move handler and only processing the last move message.

One way to do that:

local sDoitID -- ID of a pending message

on touchMove tID, x, y
     cancel sDoitID -- works OK if no ID exists too
     send "doit x,y" to me in 1 tick
     put the result into sDoitID
end touchMove

This way there is only one pending message at any time - and it's the last one
sent. Maybe that will improve responsiveness.

Best -
Phil Davis