Fun with nummberFormat

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Feb 14 17:07:15 EST 2012

Yes I know. I was remarking that you can put virtually anything in the numberFormat and it will pad with zero's. It was an issue with me because I have a validation called formatNumber, where when setting it up the user can enter a format string. I then wanted to test if it was a valid one. I suspected I would get some kind of error either when I set the numberFormat, or when I did the math on something. Instead of an error I got the result padded with zero's.

I resolved it at any rate by deleting all characters in "#.0+-" and then checking to see if the format string was empty. If it was not then there was an error in the formatString.

Bob