Unicode on Android

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Tue Feb 14 10:55:54 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to use Unicode on Android devices. I tried to type Arabic text in a RunRev field on an Android device running Android 4.0.3. In the desktop version of LiveCode, I can enter Arabic text and with a few tricks I can make a well-working Arabic text field. On Android, the Arabic text doesn't render. I can move the text cursor as if the field contains text, but the text seems to be completely transparent. I have tried to set the textColor, but that has no effect.

I also tried to run Arabic text on Android 2.3.3. Although the Arabic font appears visible in the field, the words are rendered incorrectly. Probably, this is due to the very limited Unicode capabilities of Android 2.3.3. At least, the text is kind of visible.

I would like to find out whether rendering non-Roman languages is currently completely impossible with LiveCode for Android. If you tried to use unicode (Arabic or any other non-Roman language) on Android, regardless of being successful or unsuccessful, could you please let me know your experiences?

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com