[OT] HyperCard and the Interactive Web

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 14:42:03 EST 2012

After reading about this recent legal bout
for the interactive web:
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/02/10/1248234/texas-jury-strikes-down-mans-claim-to-own-the-interactive-web

I found revealing the way in which HyperCard
keeps appearing as the first inspiration for the
web browser as we know it today:

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ViolaWWW#HyperCard

His interest in graphically based software began with HyperCard which he
discovered in 1989. Gillies and Cailliau quote Wei on this discovery:
"HyperCard was very compelling back then, you know graphically, this
hyperlink thing, it was just not very global and it only worked on Mac...and
I didn't even have a Mac" (p. 213). Only having access to X terminals, he
(in 1990) created the first version of Viola for them: "I got a HyperCard
manual and looked at it and just basically took the concepts and implemented
them in X-windows[sic]"

So, I find rather revealing that today so many developers
are mostly unaware of the existence of HyperCard.

These days, when someone study Information technology,
DO NOT receive classes about the historical background
of their profession?

I am curious, because I have to study the historical
background of Design when studied it, so many years ago...

Why Information Technology would be different?

How could be helpful to be a complete ignorant
of the origins, history and development of your
own profession?

Al