iRev database access security question

Martin Baxter mblivecode at harbourhosting.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 08:19:00 EST 2012

Hi Jonathan,

Sensible questions actually.

I would expect the situation to be the same as with php. In that
situation, if php crashes or becomes unavailable for some reason, and
precautions have not been taken, the webserver will serve the source
script rather than its output. I expect this applies to irev too.

It is usual to store database connection credentials in an include so it
can be accessed by multiple pages. If the hosting setup allows for
includes to be stored above webroot where the webserver has no access
but the scripting language does, then includes should be placed there.

If storage above webroot is not possible, keep includes in their own
directory having an htaccess (assuming apache) as follows:

<files "*.*">
order allow,deny
deny from all
</files>

This bars the webserver from accessing any files in the directory, but
does not bar the scripting engine. I expect that would work with irev too.

Martin Baxter