input and output to a cli

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Thu Feb 9 17:39:17 EST 2012

Hi Andrew,
I don;t pretend to understand a fraction of what your program does but I've
passed input and grabbed output from standard command line programs from LC
by

- building a file with the commnds to be executed
- executing a shell command for the program that redirects stdin to my
command file and stdout to a text file
- opening and reading the redirected stdout file to get the results.

Pete

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Andrew Kluthe <andrew at rjdfarm.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I have a program with a command line interface that was written in nodejs
> to act as a bot for an irc server. It takes commands and prints responses
> and chatter in irc out to a command line.
>
> I launch it by calling this from a command line.
>
> node borg.js
>
> and I get a prompt similar to OHAI> and it waits for commands.
>
> I input commands and read the responses right from the command console. I
> want to be able to send commands to this interface from a livecode program
> on windows and I want the output to be displayed in a scrolling list field.
> How does one go about communicating with this kind of command line
> interface with livecode?

> Kind Regards,
>
> Andrew K

Pete