[ANN] Casey's Solitaire published on Android Market

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Feb 9 12:22:22 EST 2012

On 2/9/12 8:57 AM, Thomas McGrath III wrote:
> As far as the artifacts, Were these PNGs under the fields? From
> Photoshop? If so there is a very weird instance where transparencies
> produce this kind of visual effect. I have been able to solve that
> problem on a Mac. The problem is there is something 'legacy' left
> over in the way photoshop (and some other apps as well) saves pngs
> that only shows up in certain applications and or when using certain
> techniques to display a png with transparency. A lot of people
> mistakenly have been blaming powerpoint/preview/etc. on the internet,
> but it is actually an issue with legacy code used to write out
> transparencies in pngs.

Interesting, I didn't know that. The images are Photoshop, yes. Both
screenshots are actually from the same card, the only difference is
which objects are hidden or displayed. The weird part though is that the
blue areas don't coincide with any of the image rects. If you look at
the history field, the blue partly surrounds the field and partly cuts
into it on one line. There are no objects of that size or shape on the
card, not even hidden ones.

This didn't used to happen, only a week or two ago it was fine. It
occured to me last night that my Archos tablet had a firmware update 2
days ago. I've sent a copy of the game off to the ever-helpful Ralph
DiMola to take a look. If he doesn't see what I see, then it's my tablet
and I can release for 2.2 users. Ralph also said he's seen this before
and it is a due to a bad algorithm, but I don't know who's algorithm is
responsible.

If it does turn out to be the Photoshop problem, it might be easier for
me to just resave the image in Graphic Converter and see if that's any
better. Maybe I'll try that today.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com