QR Code & mobile devices & the desktop

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Wed Feb 8 20:52:45 EST 2012

On 8 February 2012 15:31, Nicolas Cueto <niconiko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, if written somewhere there's something stating differently, or if
> someone has actually used Inventory Scanner's "Export Server" function
> to scan a QR Code DIRECTLY into a desktop application -- like a
> physical USB QR Code reader or the same direct and simple way John
> Craig kindly explained earlier in this thread -- then, I may be
> tempted to push "Buy".

It's 9 dollars to add the server function - can you blame the guy who
wrote it? A great way to get people to test out the reading part, then
pay a little for the real deal.
It does NOT require a third party website of any kind.
The server will get assigned a local IP that should work on your local network.

You expect too much if you think it can load directly into some other
desktop app, how could it do this?

the image on this page clearly shows this:
http://actsw.zendesk.com/attachments/token/3ousyxmgpay69z1/?name=export_server.jpg
(the guy should get an artist to draw a finger or just use an arrow,
it looks like a band-aid)

it shows a sample local address   http://192.168.0.103:8080

I went ahead a paid the 9 bucks to prove my point - didn't work at
first, but I went to the forum for this app and it said to restart the
phone. And then it worked exactly as promised.

you can get a text file or an XML file from the sample database - I
chose the XML
(cut an pasted from a browser)

<inventory>
<name>Test Inventory</name>
<description>Feel free to edit this inventory.</description>
<date>Jan 1, 2011 3:00</date>
<location>My Location</location>
<comment/>
<Custom1/>
<products>
<product>
<productid>1234567890</productid>
<name>Test Product</name>
<image/>
<description>My Product Description</description>
<category>My Category</category>
<subcategory>My Subcategory</subcategory>
<internalId>MyID12345</internalId>
<Custom3>Custom Text</Custom3>
<quantity>2</quantity>
<unit>pcs</unit>
<unitCost>1.45</unitCost>
<unitPrice>1.99</unitPrice>
<currency>USD</currency>
<location>My Location</location>
<comment>My Test Product Comment</comment>
<Custom4>Custom Text 2</Custom4>
<timestamp>Apr 1, 2010 3:00</timestamp>
</product>
</products>
</inventory>

Works great for me - One could write a desktop app in minutes to read
the local web page and use the data.

could you easily write the phone app to do this? would it be worth
your time / vs $9?
This would have been the way I would have written my first, generic
version anyway.

Really well done.

sqb

Stephen Barncard