QR Code & mobile devices & the desktop

Nicolas Cueto niconiko at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 18:31:53 EST 2012

>>  (if only Inventory Scanner could send data directly to my
>> desktop).
>

> you are mistaken. Inventory Scanner can do that - read about the little
> server in you phone it creates that can provide a compatible server
> (probably FTP).

I did read about it, i.e, the "Export Server" function (which is
locked in the demo-version I downloaded).

Here is a copy-paste from the "Inventory Scanner" support-forum:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Export with export server

[JPEG: iPhone view]

Please follow these steps:

1. Go to the "Export Data" section and turn on the export server
2. Open a browser on your computer and type the URL that is shown in the app
3. Afterwards, the download website is shown to you with all links to
your data. Click the links to download your data.

[JPEG: Browser view]

http://actsw.zendesk.com/entries/20761108-export-data
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Steps 2 & 3, read carefully, clearly state "Export Server" does NOT
DIRECTLY send data from the iPhone to the desktop.

And by "direct", most people would understand something like how a USB
QR Code reader connected to the desktop sends data to an open
application.

Instead, the "Export Server" function requires the INTERMEDIARY steps
of, on the desktop, (1) accessing an url thru a browser, and (2)
starting a data download (XML or text, according to the JPEG
browser-view).

Now, if written somewhere there's something stating differently, or if
someone has actually used Inventory Scanner's "Export Server" function
to scan a QR Code DIRECTLY into a desktop application -- like a
physical USB QR Code reader or the same direct and simple way John
Craig kindly explained earlier in this thread -- then, I may be
tempted to push "Buy".

Cheers.
--
Nicolas Cueto