Problem with Latin 1 (I think)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Feb 6 12:47:15 EST 2012

On 2/6/12 11:32 AM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> The multibyte characters are like Chinese and Euro currency, the
> single byte characters are like US dollars. Uniencode is the bank
> next door and Unidecode is the first bank. Uniencode converts ALL the
> characters to multibyte, and Unidecode converts it all back to the
> single byte equivalents of the language you specify.

That's a pretty good analogy. The missing bit of info, I think, is that
LiveCode unicode isn't standard, it's a combination of single and
double-byte characters. So we need to convert the text twice, once to
get it into LiveCode's non-standard form and then again to convert it to
display in a field.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com