Further Unicode ...

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 07:02:23 EST 2012

On 12/30/2012 01:09 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Hi Richmond,
>
> The useUnicode property has nothing to to with transferring unicodeText from one field to another. The useUnicode property affects the charToNum and numToChar function *only* and as you have already noticed it doesn't do a very good job on higher-level unicode values. That's why I rarely use useUnicode and use binaryEncode/binaryDecode in a repeat loop most of the time.
>
> To transfer the unicodeText, you need to do this:
>
> on mouseUp
>      put the unicodeText of fld "fCOOKED" into COOKED
>      set the unicodeText of fld "fT" to COOKED
> end mouseUp
>
> This is pretty obvious, as the useUnicode property doesn't magically convert the value of COOKED from plain text to unicodeText. Changing data in a variable always takes at least another line, e.g. put uniEncode(COOKED) into COOKED, but that's taken care of by using the unicodeText property directly.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

Yes, I know, and I have only one REAL problem: my "gut reaction"
whenever I get stuck is to whack a message off to the Use-List

BEFORE rather than AFTER

going for a walk round the flat, having a cuddle with the cat, playing
with toys on the kitchen table, or
whatever is necessary to get my head round something.

Richmond.