Learning LiveCode

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 16:03:38 EST 2012

On 12/27/2012 10:45 PM, Ralph DiMola wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> Jacque about said it all, I just want to add. I was in the same boat as you
> a little over a year ago. That 4-6 week thing was about what it took me to
> get going. Looking at examples, some stick-to-it-ness and help from the fine
> people on this list was all it took. We talked about this at RR12. Level 1
> stack/card. Level 2 messages. Level 3 you start to type some things you have
> never done but make sense to type(And they almost always work!). Level 4
> Properties. Level 5 Behaviors. There are a lot of other things too such as
> datagrid, but this was the general list a few of use put together while
> having a pint one night. It start to click fast all of a sudden. GOOD LUCK!

Wow: all those Levels!

I have always thought of an object as a bag of sweets; and each sweet
has its own characteristics (stripy green-n-white?), and so on.

There are so many ways of visualising everything and making sense of it:

LEGO blocks,

Cups full of beans,

The Dewey Decimal system,

and so on . . .

that is, surely what makes Livecode so much more accessible than "real"
programming languages
(and, please note, I am using 'real' as an offensive term here); that it
is so visually rich and lends itself
very effectively to metaphorisation.

Frankly, I tend to think of each object on my 'card' in my 'stack' as
some sort of domestic appliance:

The "vacuum cleaner" moves the numbers from "bucket" A to "bucket" B,
and the
"mincing machine" chews up the numbers in "bucket" B and spits them out
into "bucket" C.

Childish, non-abstract; but it works :)