Learning LiveCode

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Thu Dec 27 11:55:41 EST 2012

Hi.

As someone proficient in ordinary procedural languages, you are stumbling over the inability to accept that a programming language can be so english-like. Most new users like yourself find the concept childish and unprofessional, rather than opaque and unintelligible. This is good news, I think.

It will require quite a bit of unlearning, but once you get it, I guarantee you will never look back. Make an address book or a metric/english converter. These seemingly trivial tasks are anything but, at least to a beginner, and if you can get through them, will put you over that conceptual barricade. You will appreciate that the enormous internal overhead required of the parsers and interpreters in LiveCode takes the place of the enormous internal overhead required of human beings in C++.

Had you never heard of Hypercard during your long travels?

Craig Newman