Disabling items in an option menu on Windows

Terry Judd terry.judd at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Dec 19 01:01:53 EST 2012

On 19/12/2012, at 04:55 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Dr Terry Judd wrote:
>
> > is there any way to disable specific items in an optionmenu button
> > on Windows? Disabling adds a "(" to the front of the text of the
> > specified item as expected but the item itself isn't dimmed.
>
> I believe this is a function of the Win API, since the HIG for that platform doesn't support disabled option items.
>
> I submitted a request for this some time ago, but I believe they'd need to do an ugly patch to work around that OS limitation so I wouldn't hold my breath.
>
> Any design workaround options we might be able to help with?

Thanks Richard, I'm already disabling items on the fly (there are a series of option menus each dependent on the other to some degree) so I guess I'll just delete the disabled items instead.

Cheers,

Terry...

> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems
> Software Design and Development for Desktop, Mobile, and Web
> Ambassador at FourthWorld.com        http://www.FourthWorld.com

Dr Terry Judd
Senior Lecturer in Medical Education
Medical Eduction Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne