Disabling items in an option menu on Windows

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Dec 19 00:55:13 EST 2012

Dr Terry Judd wrote:

 > is there any way to disable specific items in an optionmenu button
 > on Windows? Disabling adds a "(" to the front of the text of the
 > specified item as expected but the item itself isn't dimmed.

I believe this is a function of the Win API, since the HIG for that
platform doesn't support disabled option items.

I submitted a request for this some time ago, but I believe they'd need
to do an ugly patch to work around that OS limitation so I wouldn't hold
my breath.

Any design workaround options we might be able to help with?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems