Send Data/Text From iOS to Desktop App on LAN?

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Tue Dec 18 19:04:53 EST 2012

From the debates on sockets I wonder if what you're asking can be done. But, you could have the desktop computer act as a file server, that the mobile app sends to with PHP. Then your desktop app checks the server folder frequently for any new instructions.

I did an app that is running in Times Square at the moment, where three iPads are sending images to an iMac running as a server, and another app is running all the time on the iMac, showing the images on its screen. Now, that was all done with Flash, but the principle is the same. Here's a Times Square jumbotron video promoting the app:

http://xfiles.funnygarbage.com/~colinholgate/video/aerojumbotron.m4v