More scrolling queries

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sat Dec 8 15:50:08 EST 2012

Thanks for the reply. I thought that the object was really moving: to me, the 'frame' was the rect of the visible graphic (actually a group, tho I have no idea why) through which I see my object, but the object (the thing with the contentRect) itself was really moving under the frame. I suppose the problem was that my mental model of what is going on was wrong: I imagined the object full size, sliding under the frame, which is like a hole in a bit of card. What you're saying is that it's the contents of the object which is doing the sliding, not the object itself, and there are kind of two holes, the one which defines the rect and an invisible one coincident with it but underneath it, defining the size of the scrolling object. In the case of a desktop scroll, the 'top' rect wouldn't be needed, but it is needed for iOS.

Of course you are right, but it's quite an elusive concept - that's why I wrote my mail about hScroll and vScroll.

Anyway I shall readjust the mental wiring and try again.

Graham