Looking for tips on memory mgt in standalones

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu Dec 6 22:44:55 EST 2012

On 07/12/2012, at 2:31 PM, tbodine wrote:

> What would be ideal is an event triggered in LC when the user clicks a
> different window activating another "document" stack. (In Director's Lingo
> language, there's activateWindow and deactivateWindow event handlers.
> Anything similar in LC?)

resumeStack/suspendStack

> I expect these "documents" will all have similarly named custom properties,
> so it could get messy keeping track of them with many files open. I'm
> thinking that when a particular "document" is active, then its custom props
> are copied to a global that would be used by the editor's code. And when
> that "document" is deactivated, code would write the global back out to that
> file's custom property. Then the newly selected "documents" custom props
> would be loaded into the global.

Set a customProperty or script local of the template to the name of the data stack. Alternatively your saved file coule be just an arrayEncoded array and you set that as a script local of your template. Fine for not much data. For lots of data use a db.

> Do you foresee pitfalls with this? Is there a better way?

In general a good maintainable design will separate the data from the access to it and the view of it. There can be a few layers in there (eg a db driver).

Cheers

--
M E R Goulding
Software development services