Team development solution

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon Aug 27 16:16:57 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Magicgate Software - Skip Kimpel <
skip at magicgate.com> wrote:

> Any thoughts on using a shared Dropbox folder for team development and
> file versioning?

If you do that, you will need a file locking mechanism. I can be as simple
as writing a file with the same name as the file being locked but with an
extra extension ".lock" so if you are editing a file called

    contacts.livecode

then you will have a file called

    contacts.livecode.lock

in that folder if the file is being used by someone. You also need a way to
expire the locks. So you when you lock a file for your usage you put the
seconds into the file, this way other clients know when it was opened. You
can make a little software that will rewrite that file with a new "seconds"
value every minute while it is locked. When you unlock the file, then the
lockfile is deleted. If the value in the lockfile is older than five
minutes, you can unlock it as well since it means that the original worked
is no longer working on it (Remember that it would write the lockfile every
minute).

Something along those lines will help your team tasks.

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.