Another OS X Lion Weirdness

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 13:51:13 EDT 2012

On 08/23/2012 07:53 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> I just opened a document in the iWork/Numbers spreadsheet program that I
> hadn't opened for perhaps a couple of weeks.  It opened just fine but when
> I tried to make a change to it I got the message:
>
> The file "Costs" is locked because you haven't made any changes to it
> recently.
>
> There were options to Unlock, Work on a duplicate copy or Cancel the change.
>
> So now Apple apparently thinks it's appropriate to silently lock files
> behind my back on the basis of me not accessing them for some arbitrary,
> unknown period of time.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to switch off this"feature"?
>
> Pete
> lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

I am just getting used to working with Mac OS Snow Leopard in VMWare
virtualization
on a Linux box; unable to stump up the moolah for a real Mac, and
possessing an install
DVD for Snow Leopard this seems to be "The Road Ahead" [ sorry, Willy ]
for my Devawriter Pro
development, which for some rather odd reasons has to go forward on Mac.

However, virtualization seems to have its own 'eccentricities' with Mac
OS 10.6, such as "going all
funny" with installers.

However, what I can see is that Snow Leopard looks, largely, like
Leopard (which is what I used on my G4 tank before in went boom and I
reverted to my Tiger MacMini PPC), and behaves like Leopard too.

Everything I have heard about 10.7 (played around with a friend of my
son's laptop with
10.7 for about 6 hours) and 10.8 seems fairly negative.

As soon as  a restaurant starts nailing the furniture down to the floor,
telling you you cannot bring
your wheelchair, and cannot used chopsticks instead of a knife and fork
it is time to move to
another restaurant.

Of course, cross-platform between my mac Mini and the Linux box
(transferring files over my BAN [Bedroom Area Network]) really does
play merry hell with permissions and locked documents. But these are
imposed by the differences between platforms, not by "The Sons of Cain
and Abel" (spend a while working out which of those 2 is Jobs and which is
the hairy, bearded guy who got "oomfed" by Jobs).

Now, where was that install CD with Appleworks?

Richmond.