changes to runrev store

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 02:45:13 EDT 2012

On 08/19/2012 06:31 AM, Nigel Soden wrote:
> Hi All
>
> If what I read is correct then I am extremely disappointed as this pricing structure is too expensive for me. Living in South Africa and our exchange rate being as it is would makes this product expensive to develop with. Two of the reasons that made me go for LiveCode was I liked the concept and its price structure.  Also at the moment I'm still in the learning curve and busy with developing an application which hopefully will be finished by the end of this year.  This could very will but a stop to that as I may have to look for an alternative.

Or, you could be like me and develop software with whatever version of
Livecode you already own and not  feel that you have to be permanently
on the "upgrade escalator".

While I own LC 4.5, I do most of my development with LC 2.2.1 as that
version already contained all the capabilities I need for the EFL
content software that is my 'bread and cheese'.

When (if ?) my major software stuff (developed with LC 4.5) makes a spot
of money I shall think about
upgrading; until it does, there is absolutely no way I can even dream of it.

As far as I can see the only reasons to upgrade (anything) are:

1. A new version has more capabilities that are 100% essential to my work.

2. The OS I'm running will not cope with the earlier version I am running.

[Just back from visiting my Mum and Dad, where I always do a spot of
work on an old tray-loading
G3 iMac running Mac OS 10.3.9; can cope with LC 4.0, and Fontforge (my
other weapon of choice)]

3. A new version allows me to author software to run on a wider variety
of platforms [certainly
true of LC 5.5 compared with LC 4.5] that I 100% need for my software
[not at all in my case].

Many, many people have the feeling they have to upgrade endlessly. All
this feeling results in
(at least for people living in Bulgaria and South Africa) is a financial
crisis  . . .   LOL.

This message was written on a second-hand DELL Optiplex 745 (cost 50
Euros) hooked up
to a 17 inch monitor I fished out of a dustbin, running Ubuntu 12.04.

I do most of my programming on this machine or a 7 year old MacMini PPC
attached to a similar monitor that was given to me by a bookshop owner
went they decided to "go flat".