How to check if a group is in edit mode

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Sat Aug 18 18:48:22 EDT 2012

In a utility I'm writing, I need to keep track of when groups in stacks
outside the utility go into and out of edit mode.  The context is as
follows.

I have a front script that traps newField, newButton, etc messages.  In
that script I can easily tell if the control is being added while the stack
is in group edit mode by checking the stack's editBackground property, but
I need to figure out how to detect when it comes out of edit mode.

To further explain, it seems that when a group is placed into group edit
mode, it no longer owns any controls, I guess it has essentially been
ungrouped although the group itself still exists.  When a control is added
to a card in group edit mode, it is owned by the card not the group.  Only
when the group comes out of edit mode do the group's controls become owned
by the group again. My utility needs to keep track of the controls in a
group and loses track of them because of the above.  The only way I can
think of to find out what controls are in the group is to detect when it
comes out of group edit mode.

I haven't been able to find any messages that would help me so looking for
advice on how to deal with this situation.

I could have edit/stop editing group buttons in my utility (and probably
will) but I would really like to be able to use the LC Edit Group button as
well.

Thanks for any ideas,

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>