more on-rev issues

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Aug 18 18:30:55 EDT 2012

  Dr. Hawkins wrote:

>> In particular, what I'll ultimately need is for them to run scripts that
>> build cards and then put the output to pdf (which is currently working in
>> livecode)
>
> Can help in about those tasks as long i only build HTML5/CSS3/JQuery
> outputs from my own on-rev stack's libs.
>
> I'm not fully following here . . . . If I can cause a stack to manipulate
> its cards and fields, I can make it do what I need.

Well, yes and no.

Yes, RevServer should allow creation and manipulation of objects (at
least the older Rev CGI allowed this), and using the "save" command you
should even be able to save those changes to disk.

But no, unfortunately you won't be able to do anything that involves
rendering objects graphically.  Server environments are "faceless", they
have no GUI components, and so there's no way for LiveCode to render
anything into an imaging buffer such as would be need to generate PDF
with its printToPDF external.

Thus far the only command-line app I've seen which can generate PDFs is
ImageMagick:
<http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php>

--
  Richard Gaskin