The Story of Steve Jobs - An Inspiration or a Cautionary Tale

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 12:39:38 EDT 2012

On Aug 16, 2012, at 9:02 AM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> I have posted a great solution for all who are offended by me. Most email software has a great feature called Rules. You set a rule that will do a particular thing when the email meets a certain criteria. For instance, you could make a rule that sends any emails from me to the trash. I have already implemented this myself for a couple of you. :-)
>
> The other thing you can do, and I do this often myself, is roll your eyes and click the delete button. It's not that hard.

The last thing I want to do is consign all your postings to the trash, Bob. You are a great contributor to the list. And I don't want to come down as some sort of moralistic preacher about these things. All I wanted to do was the remind you (and others) that everyone has buttons that can be pushed, and that political remarks generally don't accomplish anything except triggering emotional responses. So the result is infrared shift: no more light on anything, just more heat. I guess my question is, is that what you want?

script of my button:

on mouseup
   put the text of fld "email" into tRemark
   if isOffensive(tRemark) then
      steamComesOutOfMyEars
      answer "Respond?" with "reply" or "ignore"
      if it is "reply" then
         answer "What tone?" with "blast" or "tactful"
      end if
      if it is "blast" then answer "Don't do it!!!"
      else if it is "tactful" then answer "Let's just get back to LC, shall we?"
   else
      pass mouseup
   end if
end mouseup