revxxx messages in plugins

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Aug 14 22:43:30 EDT 2012

On 8/14/12 8:23 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> I'm confused about the purpose of these messages.  As an example, consider
> the revPreOpenStack and its equivalent preOpenStack
>
> If I register my plugin to receive revPreOpenStack messages, then I get
> that message when any stack is opened in the IDE which is great but is
> there any advantage to doing it that way rather than having a preOpenStack
> handler in a front script?

Using the plugin messages is less likely to interfere with the user's
setup and message hierarchy, and ensures your plugin will always receive
messages (frontscripts can be overridden by other frontscripts.) The rev
messages were implemented to allow plugins to react to IDE events in a
structured way.

> If it's better to use the revxxx messages than a front script, is there any
> way to pre-configure a plugin to receive selected revxxx messages before I
> give it to a customer?

The settings are saved in a custom property of the plugin stack. As long
as the user doesn't remove or change the settings, they will travel with
the stack.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com