Word chunk includes punctuation

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Aug 13 12:13:28 EDT 2012

On Aug 13, 2012, at 11:10 AM, James Hale wrote:

> Is this a bug?

No, it's a 'convention'… it mimics the way that HyperCard recognized a "word"; as stated in the Dictionary under "word":

"A word is delimited by one or more spaces, tabs, or returns, or enclosed by double quotes. A single word can contain multiple characters and multiple items, but not multiple lines."

> If not, has anyone got a workaround that doesn't require me testing for a punctuation character at the end of every word or replacing them all with spaces?

As Mark pointed out, the use of "token" helps separate the wheat from the chaff (see the entry on "token" in the Dictionary for how a token is defined).

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/