Versioning ( was ANN: GLX2 3.0.10)

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 23:42:58 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

> I have, several times. It's on my list of bacon-saving devices.

Yes, and on my list as well, along with TimeMachine and Carbon Copy Cloner.

But my comments were more a reflection of how complex, laborious and space
wasting the current situation is, and in an 'ideal' world it could be
vastly better.

The current stack I am working on was 143KB at the end of day one
(1Jun12).  It is now 10.3MB and I know I've worked on it on 24 separate
days.

My copies of 'the end of day' work totals 90.8MB
The GLX2 archive folder shows 101MB

So, given that I have both a TimeMachine backup and a CCC clone of my HD,
this one 10.3MB stack occupies:
(10.3+90.8+101)*3 = 606.3MB of HD space.

No big deal, as I've said, HD space is cheap.

Then there is the process of retrieving lost data. You can't just open up
any of these backups because they have exactly the same stack name as the
stack you are working on.

Oh how many time did I make that mistake and loose data.

And clearly from comments here, I'm not the only one who uses belts, braces
and tin plated britches when working with LC (more so than any other
program I work with)

My comments were simply a dream of an ideal world where an implementation
of a 'Versions' like scheme, where only delta data is saved, and that these
changes could be accessed whilst your current stack is open, PLUS not just
some LIFO sequential Undo/Redo process but the ability to randomly take
both text (scripts) and objects (btn/flds/img) of any previous Version,
would be not just space saving, not just time saving, but… hmmm… whats the
word I'm looking for… oh yes… Revolutionary :-)