[OT] How long before..

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Wed Aug 1 06:54:51 EDT 2012

I love this thread, and all the old guys emphasising their thoughts and emotions. However, you are all geezering on and on about the good old times, how everything used to be much better when there was BASIC and CLI (or a slightly less remote past). In theory, I like the idea of no "save as", and no "save"-related menu items at all, no user interaction to save. Know what great tool had that in the early nineties which you all love so much? Hypercard! It's implementation of not saving stuff wasn't perfect either, but i much preferred it to how text edit worked back then, and often wished all programs worked like Hypercard in that regard (with the added feature to revert to older versions).

Apple now tries to introduce this way of document handling as the only way to do files... And I agree that they're being rude there, and could have done that more gently. Maybe they should actually have made a new, and much more elaborate "File" menu, with both old and new way co-existing at the same time for at least two or five years. Or maybe a funny tutorial, on why they're doing it this way, just like they had these nice mini-games to learn what a mouse is.

New stuff isn't always better, and trying out new approaches is not always going to be successful. However, replacing user issued saving with a properly working, behind the scene auto-save system could work.  And it could reduce everyones pain with computers (yes even yours) a lot. Just think of your LC-stacks being auto-saved by the system all the time, for every change, with a logical, intuitive GUI that allows you to roll back to any state you want. Granted, the new Mac OS saves are not quite there yet, but they're going to get there, and I applaud Apple for trying that.

cheers
Björnke

--

Use an alternative Dictionary viewer: