Reading PDF documents

Jonathan Lynch jonathandlynch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 17:38:54 EDT 2011

Shell is easy to use.

Moreover, you can do the following.

1) Find an application that does what you want to pdfs, but does not require
a full installation. Many applications can run as an executable file without
having to have notations made in the windows registry.

2) Store that application within the stack. You do this with something like
this: set the pdfapp of this stack to url "binfile:C/your file
path/pdfapp.exe" -- this is just a one-time event. Once it is loaded up into
a custom prop, it will be there when you save the stack.

3) When the stack runs, have it check to see if the desired application is
in the desired folder - probably the same folder as your stack.

4) If it is not there, you do the reverse of step 2: put the pdfapp of this
stack into url "binfile:C/stack folder path/pdfapp.exe"

by doing this, you do not have to have your user do any kind of install. The
stack makes sure the application is where it needs to be, and can be
accessed when needed.

My apologies if I am stating the obvious here.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> I guess I am shellophobic then. I am also Sheilaphobic but that is a
> personal matter. :-)
>
> Bob
>

> On Sep 30, 2011, at 2:14 PM, stephen barncard wrote:
>
> > FEAR OF SHELL()
> >
> > On 30 September 2011 13:39, Mark Schonewille <
> > m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Richmond,
> >>
> >> SuperCard and LiveCode and all other Mac-compatible platforms can
> display
> >> PDF files in QuickTime players. It might also be possible to use a
> browser
> >> control.
> >>
> >> HyperStudio lets you drop PDF files onto the window and the first page
> of
> >> the PDF will be displayed as a picture.
> >>
> >> As I wrote earlier, ImagaMagick is the perfect solution for this
> problem. I
> >> wonder why everybody ignored that post of mine.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Mark Schonewille
> >>
> >> Economy-x-Talk Consulting and Software Engineering
> >> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> >> Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer
> >> KvK: 50277553
> >>
> >> See what you get with only a small contribution. All our LiveCode
> downloads
> >> are listed at http://qery.us/zr

> > --
> >

> > Stephen Barncard