Alternatives to SiteGrinder?

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 08:22:54 EDT 2011

There is also NetObjects Fusion (or Essentials, which is free).  If
you have a clever enough server-side templating system, it is possible
to simply drop re-designed output from NOF into server-side folders,
thus using a drag and drop tool to provide the GUI portions of a
dynamically-generated web application, with minimal adaptation of the
generated HTML/CSS.  Designing/constructing the web page is half the
battle - integrating revised designs into a web application is the
other half.

I believe it was Richard who pointed out many moons ago, that HTML was
never meant to be hand-coded - and with the plethora of complexities
that have arisen in the past 15 years or so, including CSS, I'm
inclined to believe more and more that is the case.  Every time I see
people discussing the complexities of CSS rules I feel like slashing
my wrists with a serrated knife.  The astonishing thing is a) that
there are so a few tools that make the production of HTML/CSS easy, b)
that the most famous of these tools are so complex that it is probably
easier to hand-code the HTML/CSS rather than learn the tool (I've
found it easier to learn multiple enterprise, development environments
than to learn Dreamweaver, etc.)

NOF is by no means perfect.  But it is about 10x simpler to use than
the Adobe tools.  And there is a free version (I have not used that;
my understanding it lacks some of the features of the paid version).
http://netobjects.com/html/essentials.html  And, of course, it is
windows only.

Bernard.