Tell me I'm not crazy

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Tue Sep 20 12:31:48 EDT 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:20 AM, Dave Cragg wrote:

> On 20 Sep 2011, at 16:45, Tereza Snyder wrote:
>

>> Is it crazy to assume that if "=" works, then "<>" (or in other languages, "!=") would also?
>
> Not crazy, but we know we shouldn't assume too much. Some of us don't have six hours of hair to lose. :-)

Yeah, there’s a reason I always wear a hat in public.

> If it is intended to be taken literally as "less than or greater than" then it is probably working correctly.On the other hand, the docs say it's a synonym for "is not", but "is not" appears to work with arrays also. The following work the same:
>
> not(array1 = array2)
> (array1 is not array2)

This is what I’m using now that I’ve abandoned "<>".

> So a documentation error perhaps.

Even if the docs were clear (e.g. "<>" does not apply to arrays, use "not(A1=A2)" instead), it would still be wrong, in my opinion.

Tereza Snyder
Califex Software, Inc.
<www.califexsoftware.com>