Comma-Delimited Files on Macs

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Sep 18 15:34:04 EDT 2011

Roger Eller wrote:

> Why is LiveCode's default delimiter a comma, such as in the dateItems?
> Is it simply because it is visible, whereas a TAB is not?

I believe that's why it was chosen for HyperTalk, and RunRev followed
suit on that.

For the data types supported inherently in HC, it's generally okay
because they don't include in-data commas (dateItems is a good example).

But by letting scripters put their own data into such chunks it opens up
a world of potential hurt, which is why SuperCard, OMO, and LiveCode
support customizable delimiters (the itemDelimiter and lineDelimiter
properties).  HC would probably have added those too had it lived long
enough.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World