Unity on Windows 8

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 14:48:16 EDT 2011

On 09/17/2011 09:27 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richmond-
>
> Saturday, September 17, 2011, 10:57:36 AM, you wrote:
>
>> If I buy something, surely it it then mine, and I can do whatever I like
>> with it?
> Silly boy. Haven't read EULAs in a while, have you? Here as an example
> is a snippet from Microsoft's terms of service:

I have read a few, and generally feel a most unpleasant feeling at the
base of my spine.

> "When you purchase software, you are actually purchasing a license to
> use the software rather than purchasing the software itself."
>
> or, so as not to play favorites, from Apple's EULA:
>
> "The Products transacted through the Service are licensed, not sold,
> to You for use only under the terms of this license"

And they all seem to wobble on about laws in the State of Delaware,
Maryland or California;
none of which are applicable outwith those territories.

Yes....Well.... that is just bullying, and I really wonder when
Microsoft, for the sake of argument, is going to chase the 3 million odd
Bulgarian PCs with Pirate Windows on them, and all the software
subsequently downloaded?

Now; I have a MacMini and a G3 iMac, and they are both running Mac OS
10.4; and, guess what; naughty Richmond has ONLY one DVD with Mac OS
10.4 on it. Is this a crime? No more
than my making a backup for my own use of a DVD movie I own, or the
de-regionised RIP I made of a North American DVD that I bought, so I
could watch it on my bog-normal DVD player here in Bulgaria. As both of
the Macs are mine, and as I am not an octopus, I can only use one of
them at a time, all the end result is that I don't have to strain my
back carting one Mac around with me from home to work and back again.

What is a crime is when I start stealing software, books, underpants and
what-have-you.

What is also a crime is when I start making multiple copies of my DVDs
(whether movies or software) and sell them off my wheelbarrow in the market.

Unfortunately, I come from a good family, and had a good education, so
know the difference between morals, laws and bullying; the first two
don't always coincide, and the last is always wrong.

Bye-the-bye; when my underpants wear out they get converted into
cleaning cloths; I
wonder if this isn't breaking some sort of "change of use" agreement I,
unintentionally
got involved with when I purchased them.