[server] $_FILES upload limits?

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Fri Sep 16 09:56:06 EDT 2011

Phil,

HTTP is not the ideal transport for transferring a hundred files of 100 MB
each. I am not a native english speaker so I might understand things wrong
or maybe it is just morning without my matte (<-- delicious brazillian
native beverage with a shot of lemonade). So let us assume two scenarios:

*  100 files of 100 MB each. If you try to do this with a single HTTP
request, unless it is a LAN, you will probably reach the socket timeout of
the server or something similar. Your ideal transport for lots of large
files is FTP, SFTP, SCP or some custom thing that breaks the files into
edible chunks and uses a lot of requests.

* 100 files totaling 100 MB (1MB per file). I would advise against doing
this on a single HTTP request. I would loop transferring one file at a time
or maybe 5 files at a time using HTTP. This is OK and should be fine with
the server and the engine.

Cheers
andre