LiveCode post 3.5 on Linux boxes with no display

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 16 09:27:34 EDT 2011

Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> On 15/09/2011 19:09, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> I've been able to build standalones that behave well when run from the command
>> line provided I launch them with the -ui flag and include a quit command after
>> they're done processing. The quit command may not be necessary; I vaguely
>> recall having a CGI hang years ago without that, and so I've been adding it
>> for all CLI usage ever since.
>
> Richard,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Can you confirm that you can make this work on a Linux
> machine with no display manager / window manager (I'm not sure of the correct
> terminology)?

Better yet, you can test it yourself - Debian 4.0 server:

<http://fourthworldlabs.com/cgi-bin/tsa.cgi>

The cgi file includes only what's needed to launch the standalone:

    #!sa -ui

Here's the script in the standalone:

    on startup
      put "Standalone - Engine version "& the version into tData
      put "Content-length: "& len(tData) &cr&cr
      put tData &cr&cr
      quit
    end startup

I hope you get this resolved.  I was playing around with making a custom
interactive shell using "read from stdin", and it's a lot of fun to have
so much flexibility in a CLI, every bit as capable in terms of
interaction as using R, MySQL, or other CLIs.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World