Apple vs Android in the Enterprise

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Sep 15 19:01:22 EDT 2011

On 9/15/11 5:25 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Given that for nearly every person who chooses iOS two choose Android,
> it looks like it's off to a reasonably good start:

I was just reading some articles today about Android's prominence and
promise, and how, given Apple's long time to market, some companies are
choosing more often to deploy first on Android. But the flip side of
that was discussed in another article I read, which talked about the
rampant piracy on Android, something which is nearly nonexistent on iOS.
Since it is so easy to share Android apps, most developers have to
assume they are going to lose money on them.

The spread of malware is also largely done via piracy on Android. You
download an app, modify it, and reupload to Market as a new or improved
version, and there are no restrictions. The modifications typically
involve malware or just blatant rebranding and reselling.

So I got to thinking. Our apps aren't written like other apps, and with
the difference in language and the inclusion of password/script
scrambling protection, I'm thinking LiveCode apps wouldn't be capable of
being modified by a third party. Even if the miscreant could identify
our app as a LiveCode build, it's pretty much impossible to separate the
stack from the engine in a standalone.

So I'm thinking that would make our releases more secure than others on
the Market. We can't avoid the piracy issue, since Android apps are so
easy to share, but malware and rebranding would be pretty difficult to do.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com